Monday, September 26, 2011

Shifting Gears!

Wow, today is the first day of autumn. I’ve always thought these official changing of season days odd, as Mother Nature rarely tends to comply. Take today for instance. The temperatures are predicted to reach eighty degrees, hardly what one would expect when entering the fall season, nor have I seen even one amber or crimson fallen leaf. I can not, however, deny the fact that school is now back in session, and although I don’t have school age children yet, the coming of the first day of school, brings my annual nesting tendency to prepare for cooler weather. So lately, I’ve been rearranging closets, carefully stowing sleeveless items for long sleeves, have tried coats and mittens on the kids and for all intensive purposes have secured their winter wardrobe. We have gone into storm watch mode, anticipating the rains of La Niña to hit any day. Honestly!

Last night the girls and I made the trek to BabiesRUs to finalize our last purchase - a purchase that requires their presence in the store. Close Toed Shoes! I felt it was a tad early to buy considering the rate at which my princesses’ feet grow, but with a “buy 1 pair, get a second pair for a penny” it was worth the risk. With one child contained in a shopping cart and the other a roaming shopper, we took the store shoe department by storm. Immediately, we had a discussion about the words “practical” and “sensible” which left us at a disagreement over whether shoes with pink glitter on the toes fell into either of those categories. Needless to say, it was two against one, but because I am older, wiser, and possess the Mastercard, my opinion won out. We settled on basic black mary janes. Devi fit into a size 10, no surprises there, but Treya, who typically would wear a 7, couldn’t manage to fit her foot into that size. In fact, it was so snug, it was just like the step sisters in Cinderella trying to force that glass slipper on the boats they had for feet. Up in size we went. I slipped the loftier pair on her, pushed down on the toe with my thumb and felt resistance. A good fit.

Once home with the girls soundly sleeping in their beds, I showed off my frugal purchases to Pat. It was then that I noticed something amiss in Treya’s new shoes. Paper? On closer inspection I found wadded up paper in the toes of both of her new shoes. Shoes that suddenly looked alarming large for girl of her age. Well, for heavens sake! Just when I think I am ahead of the game, back we trudge to the store tonight for another fitting and most likely an exchange.

Exasperated, I’ve also noticed that I have failed to record the events of the last months of summer. The weather did not cooperate in the beginning, but when it did arrive, we were busy busy trying to squeeze in every last opportunity to soak up that worshiped sunshine. So without further adeiu, the tail end of our summer, experienced in photos.

Aunt Joan & Uncle Bill bring grass skirts from their Hawaii trip to the girls.

The girls make Rahki bracelets for each other

We discover the water parks in our neighborhood.

We plant a garden again this year and enjoy a few fruits of our labor.

The family picked blackberries together

Trey had her face painted for the first time & chose a baybeebub (ladybug) design all by herself.

Making the most of one of our hot days, we lounged, taught the kids how to wash the car and had our own water balloon fight.

We had our annual "picnic in the back of the van" at Frisco Freeze, our neighborhood grease pit. Boy their burgers are tasty.

We also discovered a new place. Gilbert's frozen yogurt for dessert. Devi's concoction covered in gummy worms, and Treya's in chocolate. Mommy loves this spot because we can also get no sugar added flavors as well as fat free.

Trey had her first s'more and proclaimed it deliptus.

We gave camping a trial the backyard. This night lasted until about 9:30pm before everyone was back in the house. On the second attempt a week or two later, Devi and Daddy slept under the stars all night. Treya was so exhausted from the day's events that she and mom stuck to our own beds inside. It was reported that sleeping outside is LOUD, between an occasional passing car, dog barking, airplane and wind, not much sleeping actually occurred and the air mattress had a hole. Poor daddy.

While daddy was away on business, Mom took the girls out for a ladies pick out new leotards and ballet shoes, - all new for Treya - then have dinner out together. They both had a slice of lemon in their water, which left them feeling as though they were truly grown ups.

Just a bit excited for their actual first dance class of the season. Treya's first time and Devi returning as a seasoned veteran.

A rare cartoon morning in mommy and daddy's bed!

Treya's first trip to the Puyallup Fair

The petting zoo. The little goat kept trying to eat the beads in my hair.

Attending the Puyallup Fair has been a family tradition since I was about Devi's age. It was such a big affair that free tickets were given out as well as closing school a half day so everyone had an opportunity to attend. Devi has entered the "gold gate" enough times to know the drill and was thrilled with the anticipation of fair fun again this year. Treya, does not know what is going on most of the time, but that does not seem to effect her enthusiasm. She was wildly cheering right along with Devi as we got closer and closer to the venue, spying the tracks of the roller coaster through the surrounding trees.

Treya comfortably strapped into a little umbrella stroller enjoying the ride we headed for the animal barns, arriving first at the pig palace. Recently at daycare, Treya had mastered the "Old MacDonald's Farm" song, so I was thrilled for her to LIVE the lyrics. Our eyes began to adjust from the change in light as we passed through the giant double doors of the barn, and strolled closer and closer to the first in a long line of pens. The first one was home to huge black and white sow, lounging on her side amongst a cool bed of fresh straw. As Marigold the pig came into view, Treya let out a blood curdling scream that left everyone in ear shot cringing. Up she stood, still strapped into the flimsy umbrella stroller and with no regard for anyone around, attempted to retreat! Turning on a dime, she struggled to baby step it the heck out of there dragging the stroller along with! I was shocked! Even today if you ask her if she likes pigs she will get very serious and shake her head with every bit of seriousness this silly girl possess and say "NO!" She freaked slightly at the sight of every barn, but managed to look at bunnies and stood beside me in the petting zoo, spending her time maneuvering herself as far from any animal as possible. Well, I guess farm animals are just not her thing.

The carousel, a huge hit with both girls, served as our saving grace after the pig fiasco, and the parents got to ride for free! Krusty pups or corn dogs were the girls dinner of choice as we made our way to view the biggest squash. We all guess it's weight and see who comes the closest without going over. Pat and I were neck and neck with my 895 pound guess and his 935 pounds. DeeDee guessed 15 pounds and Treya twee (3). Usually these hybrids come in well over 1000 pounds, but the unusual weather we had was just not conducive to gourd production I guess. Oh! and the winner was the squash was 927.

By this time, Devi was begging to try cotton candy. Nasty, I know, but we all have to try it once, right? Her behavior was so good, I found her hard to deny. Both girls were quite cute to watch as they experienced the fluffy pink cotton simply disappearing when placed in their mouths. Devi said, "It is magic!" That right there is reason enough to continue to experience the Puyallup Fair.

Rain had begun to fall, so we girls stood under the eaves of a nearby booth cheering on drenched daddy who was standing a dozen or so customers back in the slow moving ever popular scone line. He really took one for the team, but who can resist warm, butter and raspberry filled fresh scones? Not I. A debate always seems to ensue as we determine just how many of these golden pillows for baked goodness to buy. One for now, one for later, one for breakfast...times how many people we have...YUM!

The night ended with our favorite ride - the skyride, which is one of those rides with gondolas that take you over the fair from one corner to the opposing one. It is the best view of the whole event, bright with lights and thousands of people. Devi was quite cute excitedly pointing out all the places she recognized from earlier in the day.

Mom and Dad give in to one excited little girl over cotton candy = $4.00!


Anonymous said...

You're making me regret that we missed the State Fair this year! We always do the gondola ride and animal barns too. :o)

I love the grass skirts and ballet outfits! Devi and Treya are just so sweet together!

Yesterday, I put on the flannel sheets here, so fall is definitely in the air!

erica said...

Julie, your blog gives me confidence that someday my girl will be home enjoying the normal kids things she deserves. We still havent heard anything. I guess the new judge see our case in unclear on adoption cases ans wants to take more time to review it. uhhh, 5 months of hearing cases and he is unclear on adoption cases. crap.
~erica (neha's mom)